Week 3: Part 1

    When I was in 7th or 8th grade I discovered the social media business Snapchat. I had difficulties using the app so I found a way to contact Snapchat, which was through twitter. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had communicating with a business. What made this a negative experience was that Snapchat took forever to respond and never resolved my problem. It took a a couple of days to get a response from them which made it frustrating.
   Now in 2019, I find that it is a lot more convenient and accessible to contact a company over social media if they have any platforms up and running, (email works too). 
   I am into natural/organic energy drinks and I came across this company called, Outlaw Energy on Instagram. I was interested in trying out one of their products so I direct messaged them on Instagram. Literally in less than 30 minutes I got a response. The response was: "We are working on San Diego! We have some stores in LA though. But until then Amazon is there it's at! We know you'll love it!" Reflecting on this experience with Outlaw Energy I will always try to contact companies through social media because it was a great experience direct messaging them. 
   If I owned my own business and had people directing messaging me on social media I would respond just like Outlaw Energy did, but I would add some extra comments. Lets say I had a website up and running and a customer found it hard to navigate products or the website had a lot of spam content. There is no reason for me to take a message from a customer in the wrong way and respond back negatively. The customer is literally telling me that I need to fix my website so other people like him/her will enjoy viewing my website. That goes for any other negative message. I will respond politely and make sure the customer gets what he/she wants. 
   

Comments

  1. I completely agree and I have definitely had those same experiences talking to business. Sometimes they take too long to respond and sometimes they have all their information on social media of the best way to contact them. I also think you are right when it comes to the way to respond to customers. As they say the customer is always right. If they have a problem its our job to then help them in the best way as possible or at the very least listen to the free advice that is being given. All those are possible experiences but if anything, whether it be my business or someone else's, the way to communicate with the customer should always be to try to listen and validate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never reached out to a company via social media, I've always called or emailed. Calling and pushing 1, 2, or 3 to redirect my call -horribly frustrating. I'm almost looking forward to my next snafu where I can see my results using SM. --I agree with civility; a customer's complaints are valid. There is nothing worse than having a representative of the business get mad at you. I also agree, it's insight into how you can do better business. Mistakes are unavoidable its how you handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luke!
    That is super cool that you also were able to communicate with companies on instagram! And also that the company is out of LA, like super close!! I agree with you, I would also respond in how Outlaw did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts